Law enforcement has been cracking down on DUIs across the state of Colorado –
and with good reason. According to MADD, 29 people die every day in America as a result of drunk driving crashes. That equates to 1 person every 50 minutes. Some statistics about DUIs in Colorado are listed below:
- There were more than 10,000 arrests in 2017 in the state, up from 7,279 DUI arrests the previous year.
- Approximately 226 people died in alcohol-related crashes in Colorado during 2017.
- About one-third of Colorado’s traffic fatalities last year involved impaired drivers.
- In 2016, 24,403 interlocks were installed in Colorado.
- Interlock devices stopped 11,010 drunk driving trips in Colorado in 2017.
- In the last 10 years, ignition interlock devices have stopped 87,058 drunk driving trips.
Colorado DUI laws are among the toughest in the nation
You have a great deal on the line when you face DUI charges. That includes costly fines, damage to your reputation, suspension of your license, and a lifetime record, which means that old DUIs will factor into any new charges. You could also have an ignition interlock device installed in your car to prevent you from driving while under the influence.
A DUI conviction in Colorado is an expensive event. The average cost of a first DUI in our state is $13,530, which includes your legal defense, towing fees, court costs, alcohol/drug education and treatment, ignition interlock rental and service, and an auto insurance increase of up to 34 percent.
Most importantly, as of 2017, a Colorado law requiring anyone convicted of a felony DUI offense to spend some time in jail went into effect. Minimum jail time for even a first offense is 5 days.
There’s no quick fix for a DUI arrest. But the right Adams County DUI lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure your rights are protected.
John Anderson provides dedicated legal support to Colorado clients arrested for DUI or DWAI. Call (303) 880-7994 or contact us today to schedule a consultation to discuss your case with an experienced defense attorney.